Mobility scooters are designed to be safe and easy to use for individuals with mobility restrictions. For first time users, we’ve put together a handy step-by-step instruction guide on how to use a mobility scooter.
Before you start, make sure you check that the tyres are properly inflated and the battery is fully charged. Tyres that are over or under inflated will lower the velocity of the vehicle and put a strain on the life of the battery.
Ready to go?
- Sit on the scooter.
- Take some time to position yourself comfortably and safely to avoid having to adjust your position yourself whilst driving.
- When you are comfortable, grasp the handlebar with both hands and place both feet on the foot platform.
- It’s now time to activate the scooter – do this step only when you are all ready to drive it. Depending on the model, you can do this either by pressing the “on” button or by turning the ignition key. Both of these would be located on the scooter’s dashboard.
- Press the control level slowly and gently to allow the scooter to move forward. When using a mobility scooter, it is advisable to practice accelerating slowly to avoid putting necessary wear and tear on the scooter.
- When you need to stop, do so equally gently by pressing the stop button.
- Some scooter models have a lever for reversing.
Caring For Your Mobility Scooter
It is a good idea to charge the battery after every use so that it is always ready when you need to use it.
As much as possible try and drive your mobility scooter over flat, smooth surfaces. This will help preserve the life of your tyres and battery and ensure that your device remains in good working condition longer.